To view GPX fies and ride data please down load the free "Microsoft GPX Viewer and Recorder" by clicking the following link.

Microsoft GPX viewe;r

Next Ride - 2020 January 5th : Meeting point pavillion at normal time of 8:30am.

29th December:  Sixteen riders were in attendance for the last ride of the year. As usual the Xmas ride was arranged by Pete and the route was the normal Tom Simpson route along the Trent and then a quick cuppa at the "Hapy Cafe" at Sandtoft and then a left turn on idle bank towards Wroot and eventually arriving at The Turnpike for 12noon  lunch and a few beers. The lunch was excellent (far better than last year at the pavillion), we all enjoyed the short get together and drinks.  Andy and Lewis stated that they had signed up to a Strava event where you had to achieve 500k between Xmas and new year. For  this reason Andy did a loop on at the end of the ride and completed 100 miles (well done Andy).

The above concludes an excellent of riding for the club.. Look forward to 2020 especially the trips to Majorca & Isle of Man.


22nd December: Ten riders met at the pavillion for the last ride before Xmas. The weather was OK and we made a decision to ride to Askern but in the reverse direction than the normal route. We set off via Bawtry to Finingley then taking the route via Armthorpe to Barnby Dunn. As we approached Moss we confirmed that we would call at the cafe by the lake - but when we reached the cafe it was closed so we took a right along the A1(Selby Rd), this was a busy road so we stayed in single file. We were soon at the cafe and some of us had the excellent Rustic Breakfast before we rode back via Little Smeaton and over the A1 to Skelbrooke. We then took a route back via Ravenfield to drop off Dave and then via Braithwell to drop off Alan at Tickhill. An excellent ride (approx 72miles) with no rider of the week nominated since all rode well together. 


15th December: Five riders met at the pavillion for Mick's ride to Southall, Mick had planned the route to the icecream parlour we a few changes to the normal route. Andy Rodgers rang and arranged to meet up with us at Barnby Moor, we set off although very cold the roads seemed ok. We rode through Serlby park and out towards Barnby Moor, Andy was waiting for us and he joined the ride. We rode through Retford and then took a left towards Grove, as we approached Headon we noticed that the roads were slightly icy. We carried on and took a right towards Upton. At Upton Paul Exton hit a icy patch and lost grip and landed on the floor (he was ok), we discussed the risks and decided to ride a bit further to East Drayton. We soon turned back since the roads got even worse, we made the decision to return the route we had come and call at Wetherspoons in Retford. Gary had a puncture on the way back which was quickly repaired, we rode fairly steady back to the main road. We kept to the main roads all the way back home with no further incidents. Only 40 miles achieved.

8th December: Seven riders were in attendance for the Sunday ride which we changed to Bolsover due to the strong winds that were scheduled. We set off down "Wrights hill" against the wind and turned towards Ranskhill and then along the green mile to A1 roundabout near Upper Morton. We then rode through Clumber hoping to get some shelter from the wind (not much chance of that), we then rode via the still flooded Elmton to Bolsover. We stopped at the usual Wetherspoons for breakfast, Andy Rodgers was still struggling with a cold and had to buy some medicine from the bar. We set off back dropping off riders on route - riding through Clowne / Anston / Oldcoates and then back to Harworth. Although very windy and a hard ride we completed 65 miles and rider of the week was given to Bob and John.



 1st December: It was a very cold morning with temperature at minus 2 degrees, some riders had posted on "whatsapp" that they were not venturing out. I rode to Harworth to see if any other stupid riders were there - only Pete was as daft as me. I stated that the conditions were too cold for a official club ride and that we would ride on the main roads and not risk any lanes. Therefore we rode to Retford and then via Manton to Worksop, as we approached Worksop we started seeing a little blue in the sky. We proceeded on the normal route to Oldcoates then we turned towards Blyth and stopped at the cafe at the garden centre (opposite car boot entrance). The breakfast was excellent and with the xmas decorations and Santa giving out toys it was very festive (see picture below Santa gave Pete a new bike). We then continued towards Blyth and then rode to Torworth, the sun was now shining and the temperature was now +2 degrees. We then rode to Ranskill were we agreed the rider of the week to be joint winners John & Pete. Overall it was cold but still enjoyable.


24th November: All though the roads were still very wet the weather was warm and dry.. 17 riders met at the pavillion and we decided to ride to Edwinstow. We set off via Oldcoates towards Firbeck, as we rode towards Laughton on the narrow lanes we turned a corner to see a big van coming around the corner. We all braked to avoid hitting the van and 3 riders ended up on the floor (Matt Haycock, Gary Barton and John), no one was hurt and were all on their feet in seconds. This was NOT the vans fault,  it was caused by the club riding 2 a breast on the narrow lane - a lesson for future rides. Gary's bike was slightly damaged and he was unable to operate his rear brake so he returned home, Gareth also rode back. We then continued in single file to Laughton and then via Elmton to Edwinstow craft cafe (as usual excellent service). We then rode back via Budby / Thoresby and Gamston and up the hill to Ranby and back along "Green mile" home. Only one other incident was Emma had a puncture near Thoresby roundabout , this was repaired by her dad (Mick). Rider of the week was given to Alan Bullock.


17th November: This was the wettest Sunday ride ever..Nine riders met at the pavillion and set off towards Bolsover to meet Steve Parker who had set off slightly later. We rode via Ranskill and through Babworth to 5 lane ends we then turned and travelled through Clumber Park. As we came to the outskirts of Clumber towards Carburton there was a massive flood (see picture below), we were discussing whether to detour round when Paul Exton rode through to the otherside. We decided to all ride through it to the other side except Martin who shouted to us " I'm going back to Portugal - see you later". The remaining 8 riders continued through several other flood waters and heavy rain until we reached Bolsover Weatherspoons where we met Steve. We rode back via Spinkhill / Harthill and Shireoaks back home - totally soaking wet from the floods and the continuous rain. Rider of the week was given to Paul who rode in shorts for this wet Sunday ride..


10th November : The plan was to have our usual "Rememberence ride" to Blyton but we had a birthday celebration also today - Bob Clapperton was celebrating his 70th birthday. Due to the recent floods John & Martin were late due to the road closure on the A631 near railway bridge. Once they arrived we set off on the normal route via Mattersey / Strawberry Hill and along the track at the side of the Trent to Gainsborough. We then took the left towards Upton and then the route to Blyton via Corringham. We had a table reserved for the birthday celebration , arranged by Andy Pedley. Bob treated us all to breakfast and Andy Pedley's wife made a lovely cake (see pictures below). It was a very nice birthday treat for Bob and just to embarass him more we sang "happy birthday" outside. As we set off for home Andy Rodgers had a puncture which was quickly repaired and we were on our way home. We road up Gringley hill and had a short confirmation of the rider of the week which had to be BOB. We then rode the rest of the way home enjoying the November sunshine. Excellent ride.. 

3rd November:  It was slightly foggy as we assembled at the pavillion - but the forecast was for the weather to brighten up by mid-morning. We decided to ride out to Goole since we had not done this ride for a while, so 15 riders set off via Bawtry / Wroot to Crowle. We stopped at the Weatherspoons at Goole sitting outside in the lovely November sunshine (see photo's below). We then took a route back via Keedby bridge and then the route to Haxey and Misson home. We stopped off at Bawtry to discuss the ride of approx 80 miles at over 18.5mph, well done all. Rider of the week was given to Steve who pushed the pace at the front for several miles. Well done Steve.

27th October:  With everyone having an extra hour in bed the attendance was high with 14 riders out for the route to Whisby Nature Reserve. We set off on the normal route out via Mattersey and then climbing Strawberry hill, we then rode out towards East Drayton where Steve & Mel turned for home since they had to be back early. The remaining 12 riders then rode over Dunham bridge and then took the left towards Eagle village. We were soon at Whisby and sitting inside the cafe for a change, food was excellent and not expensive. We grouped together outside and Dave (official club photographer) took photo below, we discussed the route back and decided to turn right at the junction and ride towards Donnington and then onto Saxilby. We therefore crossed the river Trent at Gainsborough and turned towards Saundby and back up Strawberry hill. The ride was quite hard due to the wind, the rider of the week was given to Andy Pedley, well done Andy.


20th October: After 4 weeks of Sunday club rides in the rain it was nice to meet at the pavillion for a ride without the raincoats. We had already communicated that the ride was going to be hilly and that we would climb "Castle Hill" to the cafe at Weatherspoons. We had a surprise rider back after is time off for his operation - Matt Haycock. We told him the planned route and he said he would do his best. Eight riders met at pavillion and set off via Oldcoates (meeting Dave) then via Firbeck we rode to Anston to meet Gareth , Phil and Emma. The twelve riders then rode Steve's usual route to Marsh Lane and then continued to Cutthorpe then Steve's route took us up as many hills as possible to Old Bramton. We all rode well especially Matt who had not been on a club ride for several months. We then circled the outskirts of Chesterfield through Hasland & Cock Alley, eventually we started to see signs for Bolsover (our cafe stop). Matt who had done excellent decided he had done enough and took a early route home ( well done Matt - Rider of the week for a great performance). The rest of the riders arrived at Bolsover and did the usual climb up castle hill to the cafe. As usual the service was excellent even though we were too late for breakfast wraps, the weather was even ok to sit outside. We went home via Oxcroft, Clowne and Whitwell Common, we then rode via Shireoaks to Woodsets where Phil and Emma turned towards Anston. We all evetually split to go our alternative routes home. Pete called at Matt's house to ensure he had made it home OK, he was at home resting after his club riding return. Overall we did 80 miles and climbed 5000ft.

 13th October: No surprise when it was wet again for the Sunday ride. Six riders met at the pavillion for the ride to Bib lane to watch the Tickhill Velo arranged hill climb, Gareth was taking part in the hill climb and was given number 7 (starting at 10:07am. We set off in the pouring rain with most riders on winter bikes with mudguards except Emma who stated that when she gets home she will ask her dad (Mick Wainwright) to fly home from Majorca to fit mudguards to her bike. We rode via Tickhill and then along  Wilsic lane to Wadworth, we then took the left towards Alverley. It continued to rain as we climbed out of Edlington and rode towards Clifton and via Micklebring to Laughton arriving at Bib lane hill climb in perfect time for the start. Gareth did some excellent climbing the Bib Lane hill in about 1 min 30secs, we gave him a huge support cheering him for the final stage of the hill. We watched all riders climb the hill before going to the cafe and then a short ride home. Although only a short ride of 40 miles it was quite hilly (nearly 2000ft) and obviously very wet. Pete did'nt come with us today but we took a picture of the llamashown below since he saw several in the Himalyas - according to his stories..

6th October: Again the forecast was for very heavy rain so the numbers were low with only 6 riders in attendance. We decided to do the normal route to Edwinstow with waterproofs on we set off via Oldcoates/Firbeck/ Shireoaks and then to Thorpe Salvin, although it was raining it was just a drizzle. We then rode via Elmton to Edwinstow arriving at the craft centre cafe which was very quiet. Excellent service and food as we walked outside to set off for home - the sun came out so we had a re-think and applied sun cream before adding a loop on to the route. We returned home via Ollerton/ Walesby and Andy (sat nav captain ) took us down a left towards Bevercotes and then to Milton. Due to a road closure we turned towards Markham Moor roundabout and then took the route towards Retford. We then took the left at Eaton and then via green mile back to Barnby Moor, we paused at the junction to have a short discussion before splitting up for our alternative routes home. Rider of the week was given to Dave Evans. It was also noted that the average for the 6 riders was 63 years old




 29th September: The forecast today was for heavy rain so it was'nt surprising when only five idiots were at the pavillion for the Sunday ride, we set off towards Asda since we received a "whatsapp" message that Steve and Andy were on their way. We met them at the library, we had a short discussion of the route to take which we agreed on power station route. As we set off down wrights hill the heavens opened and the rain started. Pete suggested going home but we told him we were all hard core riders and that we would not shrink with a little rain. We rode wia Mattersey / South Wheatley  to Rampton, we then took a left towards Church Laneham were some ducks were laughing at us since we were wetter than them. The rain slowed down a bit so we decided to put a loop in to Tuxford returning via Askham and Grove Road into Retford. We decided to call in at Weatherspoons for breakfast and coffee, excellent service. We then returned via the main road back to Ranskill. Although it rained for 90% of the ride it was still enjoyable.

22nd September: The club had placed the destination of the ride Newmiller Dam (quite hilly) on the facebook page, I don't think this was the reason the attendance was low with only 8 riders - some may of looked at the weather forecast and thought better to stay in bed. Anyway the 8 riders with waterproofs set off via Tickhill to Spotborough and then to Hooton Pagnall. At High Melton the heavens opened and we stopped to put our waterproofs on which stayed on for the remainder of the ride. We then continued to ride to Clayton were Mel had to detour home to complete some DIY tasks. The remaining 7 riders continued via Brierley / Ryhill to Newmillerdam, we stopped at the usual cafe (picture below) which was excellent service. We then returned on the usual route which is a reverse of way there except that at High Melton we took a right towards Conisborough, Old Edlington and then Braithwell (dropping off Dave again) we then continued on the back lanes into Tickhill dropping off Alan. Excellent ride although very wet. Rider of the week was given to Mick for riding with cracked ribs. Overall 75 miles in pouring rain.

15th September: Todays ride ended up in two groups, Andy, Steve, Jack, Lee and Warren all needed to be home for late morning. Andy appointed Pete as “B” team captain, Pete suggested Blyton. We all rode together out through Ranskill, Mattersay, up over Strawberry Hill and out toward Beckingham. We all rode into Beckingham and then split off, Pete took his group off towards Gainsborough and then Blyton , the remainder headed on towards Walkeringham, West Stockworth, Graizelound, Westwoodside, Misson and finally back into Bawtry. The head/cross wind made it hard going down towards Graizelound, when we turned into Westwoodside and rode over past Idle Bank the headwind was brutal, however, each rider took turns on the front which helped to ease the pain. Café stop for Andy and Steve was Oldcotes – 47 miles to the café and 1 mile ride home afterward.

8th September: At the request of Dave Evans, todays club ride was to Hardwick Hall with a planned café stop at Bolsover. The weather was bright but cool, felt very autumnal. 11 riders set off from the pavilion at the normal time of 08:30. Andy had thought about the route and decided to where possible use quiet lanes, this meant quite a lot of zig zagging, the scenery and quiet roads made the extra miles worthwhile. We headed out through Carlton, Gildingwells, Woodsetts, Shireoaks, Harthill, Cresswell and Elmton taking in the scenic decent to Nether Langwith. From Nether Langwith we started the gentle climb to Shirebrook and then on towards the picturesque village of Rowthorne. Pete picked up a thorn on route to Rowthorne which meant a quick pit stop for a tube replacement. From Rowthorne it was only a mile or so until we entered the Hardwick Hall estate.Hardwick Hall looked magnificent surrounded by the autumnal colours. After a quick group photo, we were back on the bikes for the a lap of the estate, this involved a nice fast decent followed by a long slow climb, we headed out of the estate and back through Rowthorne towards Glapwell and then on to our café destination in Bolsolver.  Great café stop as always at Wetherspoons. Once fed and watered we set off for home. Heading out of Bolsover down the back lane to Oxcroft and then through Clowne to Barlborough and on to Harthill. Steve picked up a thorn on the descent to Harthill which meant another quick pit stop for a tube change. It was noticeable throughout the ride that many farm hedges had recently been cut. The return route took us through Anston (Emma drop off) and then on to Laughton (Dave drop off) before descending into Firbeck, from Firbeck we all split with riders heading home to Tickhill, Langold, Harworth and Gringley. Andy announced riders of the day - Mel and Steve. Pete’s objection was duly noted but otherwise ignored as usual.


 1st September: We met at the pavillion at the earlier time of 8am for the annual ride to Humber Bridge. Gary arrived just before we were about to set off but Andy Baker was apparently still on route., we set off and Gary rode with Andy when he arrived and planned to meetus on route. We set off on the normal route through Rossington / Armthorpe, at Stainforth we met Alistair who informed us that a bridge was closed and we had to take an alternative route. Alistair guided us through to Rawcliff where we rang Gary and Andy Baker they were having a coffee and they stated they knew the way and would meet us at the cafe at Humber Bridge. We carried on through Airmyn/Howden then taking a right towards Gilberdyke. All 16 riders were riding well together and preparing for the climb at South Cave, everyone climbed the hill well and we were soon descending into Riplingham. We took Steve's route to the Humber Bridge which avoided the main roads and heavy traffic. We all kept together as we rode over the Humber Bridge and had our picture took as usuall (see below), as we got to the other side some riders went to the "Tile Cafe" and the remainder to the usual "Bird Sanctury cafe". The Tile cafe had stopped doing breakfast so we were forced into other options which were slightly costly but very nice. We met up again and then rode up the usual hill except we knew that most of the way back would be against the wind. At South Ferriby we took the route via the track to Winterton then travelled through Flixborough to Gunness. We crossed the bridge and took a left towards Epworth, after stopping at Epworth for water we continued via Idlebank to  Misson. We stopped at Bawtry and Andy announced that Pete was rider of the week. Well done Pete.


25th August: After the 100mile ride last week and the Humber bridge ride next week we gave Steve Parker the reins to select a short nice ride. With 15 riders in attendance Steve selected Bolsover route via Marsh Lane incline. We started off with Pete handing out jelly babies since he eaten all of Andy's last week. The route took us via North Anston / Killamarsh then up the hill at Marsh Lane, we then desended via Hollingwood. The route was quite hilly - but all the way we knew that we were going up the very steep climb at Castle Lane to the Weatherspoon pub. As we approached the bottom of Castle hill we selected the right grannie gear and did the climb. As usual the cafe stop was excellent. We then rode via Nether Langwith/ Cuckney and then through Clumber Park to Babworth, we then ascended the hill to Ranby Prison taking the right down Green mile. As usual we discussed the ride at Barnby Moor, the rider of the week was given to Mick Wainwright since he achieved the ride on a older bike with limited climbing gears. Well done Mick. Five riders continued to King Billy at Oldcoates for a refreshing drink. The ride was approx 74 miles with 3650 ft of climbing



18th August: 14 riders met at the pavillion for Martyn's ride to Wickenby, 3 riders stated at the start that they had prior engagements and would not be doing the whole ride (Mel, Steve P & Warren). We set off via Ranskill and then along Green mile to Ordsall climbing the hill at Upton, we then rode through East Drayton and over Dunham bridge. At this point we took a right to Thorney and rode via Broadholme to Saxilby. At Saxilby we took really quite lanes to a nice village called North Carlton, we continued on further lanes to Scampton / Hackthorn and Welton (a recognised spot for the riders who completed the last 200 miler - not Pete). At Welton we turned towards Wickenby and were soon at the cafe,the timing was perfect since 5 minutes after arriving the heavens opened and it poured it down. The service was ok and the museum well worth a visit. The rain had reduced so we decided to venture back out, Martyn gave us 3 options for routes back home short, minimum and long. We decided to take the middle option (glad we did or it would of been 5pm return). This route took us via Market Rasen / Linwood and Osgodby, we eventually reached South Kelsey and then we joined a faimilar route home (Cleethorpes return route). At Waddingham we detoured to Willoughton which varied the route, Martyn indicated that he had a slow puncture so we waited while he put some air in tyre. We then progressed via Corringham towards Gainsborough, at this point Martyn stopped to change tube since slow puncture was getting worse. We were soon back at Gainsborough and then rode along the Trent side to Beckingham, up Gringley hill back home. Excellent route by Martyn of over 100 miles - well done Martyn. Rider of the week was given to Emma ( excellent ride for her first ever 100mile).



 11th August:  16 riders met at the pavillion for the Sunday Club ride to Edwinstow. We headed out via Styruup / Oldcoates to Laughton, we then continued via South Anston to Elmton and then via Warsop to Edwinstow. We all sat outside at the Craft centre cafe, nice stop in the sun. We then continued back home heading for Bothamsall, John turned off at Thoresby Hall since he had left his car there from previous nights drinking session. The remaining riders continued via Gamston and Green mile back home. Nice ride although quite windy. Next weeks ride to be confirmed via "WhatsApp" - we may meet at Gainsborough in cars to reduce the distance.

4th August:  For the annual ride to Cleeethorpes we had a very good attendance. Eighteen riders set off from the pavillion picking up John (Everton), Andy & Bob (Gringley) and Colin (Beckingham) - this made a record of 23 riders for the Cleethorpes club run. We all rode together and the blue train looked excellent cycling together, riding through Gainsborough and then tuning right at Blyton towards Brandy Wharf. We had a slight bump on the road out of Blyton, two riders catching wheels - both riders came off but were both ok to proceed. We were soon at our first stop in Caistor and due to the number of riders we split into various cafe points. Information for next year we must investigate the possibility of the cafe stop at "Caister Lakes". We then all joined up again and rode onwards towards Rothwell, Swallow and then towards Beesley. It was'nt long before we were at Waltham and approaching the sea front. We stopped at our usual point at the front near cafe, we had a group photo (see below), enjoyed a icecream and soaked up the sun. Dave Clark walked past with his wife and we discussed his excellent achievement in the 25 mile event, also well done to Greg. We split into various eating houses and decided to meet back up at 1 pm for the journey back home. The route back was a reverse of the ride there. We all arrived back home dry and safe, some riders had a celebration drink at "King William" at Oldcoates. Well done all - 100 miles plus completed by all.



28th July: It was a wet and windy day for the club ride to Edwinstow, nine riders met at the pavillion. Martyn rang and stated that he had a mechanical on route and that he would meet on "Strawberry Hill". The nine riders rode to meet Martyn via Ranskill, we met Martyn and then rode via Treswell to Tuxford. We decided to put some loops in the journey to Edwinstow and rode via Edmanton, Laxton, Wellow and Rufford before reaching Edwinstow cafe. The cafe was ok, we decided to ride back via Budby and then passing Thoresby Hall before riding through Bothamsall back to Eaton. We then rode via the Green Mile back to Ranskill, we stopped for a while for Andy to confirm rider of the week - Emma. Well done Emma who had a spell at the front for a while. 70 miles completed at nearly 18mph average.


21st July:  15 riders met at the pavillion ready for a summers day ride. As usual we did not have a A & B ride, we all rode together. We had already previously discussed going on a ride to Brigg and going a route that Martyn had shown us before he went to Portugal. To cut a few miles off we decided to go via the A631 to Gainsborough, but we did not save much time since Andy had a puncture near the speed camera. After a quick repair we were back on the road and were soon riding over the Trent. The route took us on some excellent quite lanes to Laughton and Scotton, we then rode through a village called Hibaldstow before reaching Brigg. We called at the Weatherspoons for a breakfast and coffee (photo below) before starting to head for home. As we left Brigg we rode via the pedestrian route where we lost a few of the riders since they were told to walk not ride their bikes. Eventually after a few phone calls we all met up again and took the route towards Messingham via Scawby. As we approached Messingham Alan had a puncture which he repaired with the help of a battery powered pump supplied by Mick & Pete. We set off again via the normal route along the side of the Trent back to Gainsborough, then up Gringley hill back home. An excellent ride of approx 80 miles. 


14th July:  12 riders met at the pavillion for the pre-scheduled ride via some climbing to the Hollingwood cafe by the canal. We all set off via styruup but it was'nt long before Mick had a mechanical on his rear gearing. His bike was not repairable at the roadside and therefore he rang home and arranged for a lift with his bike. We decided to do a slight detour and met Mick, who had now exchanged his bike for his other road bike. All was well again as we set off towards Spinkhill and then up the climb at Marsh Lane, all climbed well and we were soon riding through Coal Aston. At Holmesfield Mark had a prior engagement and returned home, we then proceeded via Owler Bar and then taking the left towards Pratthall. After 50 miles of riding mostly up hill we arrived at the cafe at Hollingwood, as usual it was quick and perfect service. After a short chat we decided to take the shortest route back since Alistair could not be too late. We had not set off long when Alistair had problems clipping in after a junction, after investigation the pedal could not be repaired with the tools we had so Alistair continued to ride the journey home without clipping in on one pedal. We continued back to South Anston via Eckington and Spinkhill, at South Anston Alistair went with Mick & Emma to repair his bike for his journey home - while the remainder had a pint at King William at Oldcoates. An excellent ride achieving approx 80 miles and nearly 5000ft of climbing.



7th July: 14 riders met at the pavillion, and even with some riders attending after a long break (Colin & Leanne) we decided to ride together to Sandtoft airport (Happy cafe). We set off via Ranskill and then on to Clayworth, at Clayworth Pete told us that it would be advantage for all if he went via Gringley with Leanne while the remainder put a loop in via the power station and riding along the Trent. As we approached West Butterwick we saw Pete and Leanne in front us, we soon overtook them and arrived at the cafe. We were not long at the cafe when they arrived, we all sat outside and enjoyed the excellent service. We decided that again we would put a loop in via Wroot while Pete & Leanne rode direct to Misson and then Bawtry. As we rode along idle bank Brendan got a punture, Mick helped him repair. Altough it took a while to repair the punture due to the worn tyre we still took the right towards Wroot. We were going fast along the quite roads and with some chain ganging to assist we soon arrived in Bawtry but after Pete & Leanne. We had a short stop in Bawtry to confirm the rider of the week - Emma (very close , excellent riding by all especially Colin). We averaged over 18.7mph for the ride of approx 60 miles..


30th June: It was a warm day with a 18mph wind for the Sunday ride. We decided to go as one group to Askern since all riders were of A ride status. We rode out through the normal route via Tickhill / Spotborough and then via Hooton Pagnall to Askern. When we arrived at the cafe we sat outside and had a excellent value for money breakfast. Pete kept on asking us about the 200 mile ride we did the previous week, he was very interested in the route and how well we had all done on the day. We then set off on normal route back home via Armthorpe / Finningley and Bawtry. We had a short chat in Bawtry were Jonathan Veitch was named rider of the week . Well done.

23rd June:  Due to the 200miler annual bike ride yesterday the attendance was quiet low. Six riders set off from the pavilion heading for Bolsover, on the link road from Barnby Moor to Babworth we came across a lonely rider -Andy Pedley, Andy turned around and joined us en route to Bolsover. We headed out through Clumber, Carberton, Nerther Langwith and finally ended up at Wetherspoons near Boksover Castle, we did however climb castle lane before the cafe stop. Matt Farmer made Castle Lane look easy achieving a fantastic time on Strava. After a good cafe stop we headed back home through Clowne, Shireoaks, Woodsetts, Letwell and Oldcotes. A nice steady pace approx 50 miles round trip. 


 22nd June:  It was an early start for the 200 mile riders meeting at Epworth Co-op for a 5am start. A late entrance to the ride was John Owens, all the other riders encouraged John and said that he would be ok. We set off on time and travelled out towards Flixborough, then Winterton and skirting round the wolds to try and keep the route flatish. At Osgoodby we stopped for our first break having completed 50 miles (only a quarter of the way), we had a lovely breakfast at the cafe and then we were on our way again, we then travelled via lanes to Wragby. The route we took was excellent with few cars, near Horncastle we had a collision with two riders (Mark and Stu - epworth lads) collided at a junction, they both got up and seemed ok but later on Mark did'nt fell too good and arranged transport to collect him. As usual with the long rides we had a a few puncture three on the way to Skegness and John's wheel on the return journey. As we approached Skegness we clocked up the first 100 miles, we then rode to Gibraltor point cafe for lunch. The cafe was busy, did not serve fish & chips and was also expensive so we rode back into Skegness and had fish and chips near the clock tower. After a good break sitting in the sun and admiring the views we set off back to complete the second 100 miles. The route back was even more sceanic and flatter and we all rode well together having our next break near Woodall Spa outside the Co-op. The tradition on these rides is that when you have beat your distance record Lewis brings you a flask of whisky for you to have a drink, at 150 miles in was John's celebration drink (at this point I could of drunk the lot and stayed there). We then continued along until our next stop at Welton near Lincoln, we all now were feeling the pain of 160 miles in our legs especially Brendon. We sat outside the shop for a while and then proceeded on route to the finish, the miles now were counting down very slowly and it was hard work. We eventually arrived at Gainsborough at this point we were all confident of completing. We eventually arrived back at Epworth at 9:35pm, Brandon got a massive cheer as he rode to the finish and we helped him off his bike. This was an excellent ride and a great achievement by all. Thanks to Lewis & Stu for arranging the event.


16th June:  10 members met at the usual starting point and it had already been agreed to ride to Alkborough and a Cafe near the meeting point of the Trent and Humber. Lewis and Alan we're our Captains for the day and both did an excellent job of keeping the group on course and safe.  Due to a missed placed camera, and other commitments, we lost 3 members early in the ride, but 7 members rode via Gringley, Misterton, Trentbank and crossed the Trent at Keadby Bridge.  We then continued North and with a strong tail wind soon arrived at the Cafe.The cafe owner gave us a warm welcome and all enjoyed the prompt service and reasonable value for money.  One member (who shall remain nameless) had a small issue with an incorrect bread order, but in end rather enjoyed brown bread.We retraced our route and crossed the Trent at Keadby.  Lewis wanted to ensure he reached 100 miles so continued down the East side of the Trent.  6 Riders than stuck together and battled a strong headwind heading via Epworth and Misson.Many of the riders had the 200 mile ride in their heads and Lee, Lewis and Dave racked up 100+ mile rides.  A Thanks to Lewis and Alan. 

14th - 17th June :  HDCC club trip to Isle of Man - Eight riders met at Mick's garage to share transport to Liverpool to catch the 11am Ferry to Isle of Man. Riders attending this trip were Andy, Glenn, John, Steve, Mick, Pete, Mel and Greg.  We arrived at Liverpool in good time for the ferry and boarded securing are bikes to the railings, the journey over to Isle of Man was quite smooth. We are arrived at Douglas approx 3pm and had a very short commute to the hotel. We quickly unpacked and changed into our cycling gear and were soon heading down the road. All the routes are attached below for information, the Friday route was the famous TT course which obviously included the mountain stage from Ramsey back to Douglas. As we approached Ramsey the rain started to really pour and being in the clouds already it was really cold. We decided to stop at the pub at Creg Ny Baa, at the time we thought this was a good idea - but when we came out we were shaking with the cold. Although it was very difficult to ride we all made it home safe. We had evening meal at the hotel (very nice) and had a walk to sample a few local pints. On Saturday the weather had slightly improved for a route that Steve had selected, this took us down the south coast via Castletown to the very southerly point of Cregneash / Sound. As expected this route was not flat and by the time we had completed the 75 mile route we had climbed over 7500 ft. While travelling along the coastly route we called in at Glenn's sister where she had made some excellent cakes for us. After this excellent stop we continue further up the coast and then started climbing hills, one was that steep Greg , Mick and John decided to walk up the final stage to the top. We eventually saw Douglas coastline were we had our first casulty when Greg hit the tram lines and came off. Although slightly bruised he was determined not to miss the Sunday ride. Although the Saturday ride was very hard we all enjoyed it, again we ate at the hotel and fell asleep in the bar after a few drinks. On Sunday Glenn who often travels to Isle of Man to visit his sister had a ride planned, he stated it had a few monster hills involved so we persuaded him to adjust it slightly. We set off across the island to Peel (coastal town) and then rode north to flatter terrain, this was an excellent coastly route with excellent views. We stopped at the motorbike museum in Jurby for a coffee and then continued to the top of the island to Bride. The plan was to have lunch in Ramsey and then ride over the mountains back to Douglas but again the rain poured down so we detoured down the coast via Maughold and Laxey. Although wet we stopped to view the famous Laxey wheel and after cutting out some hills we still achived 4100ft of climbing in 65 miles. Greg was still not used to the tram line crossing and fell off again in Douglas. For the Monday ride we had to choose a shorter route since we had to vacate the room and catch the tram. Pete had a mechanical on his bike (could not select big ring) so he decided not to join us, Mick also decided to stay with Pete. We decided to do the TT course in reverse. Due to a road closure we had to put a slight loop on at the start then road to Creg Ny Baa and then continue up the hill to the turning to Barregarrow. We were now at the peak of the mountain and it was mainly flat at this height and the only company we had was sheep.. especially Mel since one decided it wanted a lift and knocked him off his bike. We road around the rest of the TT course at a good pace and was back at douglas at 11:30am. We packed our cases and boarded the ferry (very choppy on return leg). Even with the heavy rain this was still excellent trip and will be first in the callendar next year - for 2020 we will go in the summer. Thankyou to all you assisted in making this a well organised trip - Steve Parker (organised whole event) , Glenn and Steve for routes (including hills) plus the drivers Mick and Andy. 


 9th June:  Again we had 17 riders, we decided to ride with both groups A & B together to Hockington ice cream parlour. We all rode well together and took the normal route via Ordsall / Askham / Tuxford to Ossington, we then rode via Cauton to Hockington for the cafe stop at the ice cream parlour. Although their was a summer event on with bouncy castle etc the service was fine. Mick took a few fictures at the cafe (see below) and we discussed the Isle of Man trip planned for 14th June with eight riders attending from the club. Alan will manage the ride next week and select the route for the Sunday ride.We then set off back home via Laxton and Tuxford, we were held up twice by punctures on Alan's rear wheel. We were all riding together and were soon approaching Ordsall and climbed the hill to Ranby and then taking the right onto green mile. We stooped at the junction and had a short chat and named new rider to the club Brendan as rider of the week.


2nd June:  With a slight breeze and rain forecast for 1pm we met at the pavillion, seventeen riders were in attendance. We decided to have a joint (both A & B teams togeter) steady ride to Whisby nature reserve, We decided to take the normal route that everyone knows via Mattersey / Clayworth and up Strawberry hill. At Sturton Le Steeple we took the left down the back lanes to Cottam. While riding along these lanes Andy had a tumble caused by either strong side winds or pot hole, whatever the cause Andy hit the deck and was cut and bruised. We asked him if he wanted to go home but he said he was ok to continue the ride. We continued the ride over Dunham bridge and then taking a right towards North Clifton and Eagle. We were soon at the cafe where we sat outside, the cafe served us very quick to say their were 17 of us. Before we set off back met took a group photo. We then rode together until Mark had a punture which delayed the second pack of riders. We all grouped together again prior to the junction at the A57,  riding together for the remainder of the ride. We completed the 74 miles in good time and rider of the week was given to Emma.


 26th May: With the weather slightly wet and fairly windy we met at the pavillion for the rides to Goole (A team) and Edwinstow (B team). The Edwinstow group had 5 riders for the route to Edwinstow stopping at the craft centre for a coffee stop. The ride to Goole had 9 riders led by Andy, we took the route via Misson / Epworth / Beltoft and then slightly wet we rode over Keadby bridge taking the first left towards Flixborough following the river Trent route. We then follwed the Trent to Eastloft where John had to turn off due to previously arranged plans with the wife, the remaining 8 riders continued towards Goole for breakfast. The route back was very hard since the wind had got stronger and was obviously against us all the way home. Well done to the riders who put in extra miles and achieved 100 miles for the day.


19th May: With still some riders out in Majorca we only had a A team ride, this was planned for Bolsover via a loop of Hardwick Hall. We took the Styruup route out of Harworth and then headed out towards Firbeck and Shireoaks. We all rode together and listened to the sad news that Martyn would not ride with the club anymore since he was moving to Portugal with its brilliant weather, excellent rides and new young girlfriend (poor lad - how will he cope). We then rode via Elmton to Shirebrook and then rode through the Hardwick Hall estate where we had a photo's taken by a very helpful lady on the entrance to the Hall. We then did a loop of the estate taking in a few climbs before heading to our cafe stop  at Wetherspoons at Bolsover. As usual we had an excellent cafe stop and then to our surprise Martyn dissappeared down the road and came back with a load of cakes for the club. We struggled to eat the cakes after the breakfast, Martyn then stood up and made a speech saying how much he had enjoyed the rides with the club and he would miss us all. With tears in our eyes we set off home via the usual route via South Anston / Woodsetts and Letwell. Excellent ride and rider of the week had to be Martyn. Have a good time in Portugal, we have enjoyed your company.


12th May:  Short report on the Sunday ride to Lincoln Grand Prix, not many riders due to Majorca club trip attendance and "man flu". Six riders rode to Lincoln and watched a few laps onf the ladies race then rode back with Worksop Wheelers.

5th May: As per emails and "whatsapp" we agreed to meet at Micks garage so we had a bit of a head start for the annual Matlock ride. Seven riders met at the earlier time of 8am and set off towards Whitwell Common and then Elmton, it was quite chilly for May so many had the long trouser and long sleeve shirt. We then turned towards Pleasley and then Teversall, we commented on Teversall since it is a ride we had not completed for ages. We then rode through Alfreton (lovely market town) and then turned towards Ambergate, although the route was quite hilly we all stayed together and rode well. We were soon seeing familar signs i.e Gullivers Kingdom / Matlock Bath, we were ready for our breakfast break. We called at the usual cafe and sat outside and ordered food and drinks, we were discussing calling at a different cafe next time but when the breakfast arrived we soon changed our mind - the food was excellent and not expensive (especially for John who forgot his money). We set off on the route back home riding through Hackney , Beeley then riding through Chatsworth Park to Baslow. At Baslow we took the left at the roundabout onto Sheffield road, which is a long steady climb. Before reaching the top of the climb we took a left onto Fox Lane towards Cutthorpe, we then progressed towards Sheepbridge and then turned towards Unstone Green. Steve stopped in this village and told us that he knew a short cut to Eckington that would reduce the miles slightly. As we turned to take the shorter route Steve said we he was sorry, we soon found out why he was apologising, the shorter route took us up a hill that was steeper than castle hill at Bolsover. We all made it up the hill but it was a hard slog, we then rode very staedy into Eckington. We all were thinking only the ride up Spinkhill and we are almost home, but the rode was closed and was unpassable even with bikes so we had to go the longer route round. We then progressed through Harthill back to Mick's garage. Excellent ride withover 4000ft of climbing and total milleage of 73 miles from South Anston. Well done Mel who rode to Mick's and achieved 100 miles for the day.



28th April: With the B team low on numbers Mick and Pete decided to go with the A ride again, as per the whatsapp messages the ride was to Messingham. The 13 riders set off via the usual route via Bawtry to Finningley and then taking the right towards Wroot and then along idle bank to Belton. We were travelling at a fairly fast pace and the B club riders were riding very well. At Beltoft Mel had to leave the ride due to commitment already scheduled - maybe celebrating Sheffield United promotion since he his a strong follower of the club. The remaining twelve riders continued over Keadby bridge towards West Butterwick and then taking the left towards the cafe at Messingham. We arrived to find that the cafe was shutdown so we went into the cafe at the zoo next door, they only served drinks and sandwiches but it would keep us going. Bob and John jumped the queue and took Andy and Pete's sandwich and therefore they received a yellow card. We then set off home via East Stockwith and Morton, at Gainsborough we went down the usual track at side of the Trent to Beckingham. Andy unfortunately broke a spoke on the track and only two riders assisted him and waited (well done Pete and Dave), due to the buckled wheel Andy had to remove his rear mudguard and carry it the rest of the way home. We all rode together back to Harworth together keeping up the fast pace, averaging over 18mph for the full ride. Several riders rode well Andy (carrying mudguard), Greg (not been out this year with club) - but rider of the week was given to Mick.


21st April: The B team which was only Pete and Mick this week decided to have a run out to Sandtoft. As agreed the A team ride was the "Tour of Retford" - therefore we all met at the market square in Retford. The Harworth colours were very visiable with at least 22 riders attending and supporting Retford Lions and Bridgegate cycles Amstel ride. As usual the ride was split into five stages Retford to Gringley, Gringley to Headon, Headon to Sutton on Trent, Sutton on Trent to Kirton and finally Kirton back to Retford. We set off at a very fast pace reaching the Gringley checkpoint with average speed exceeding 19.5mph, John was slightly slower at the back of the Harworth Peleton which again proves that a two week break drinking beer and over eating does not improve the cycling pace. The route was a quite hilly and testing at times especially Knickerbush hill near Kirton. We finally reached the finish in Retford, we decided to have a well deserved pint at the Weatherspoons. The blue train was in full throttle for this ride - well done all. Below are some pictures from the day. Please note it is nearly time for the club trip to Majorca - those who are going enjoy the break and be safe (Dave says that hospital food is not that good).


14th April: Nine riders were out for the Sunday ride to Blyton. Since this is Pete's favorite ride both A & B rides joined forces to the ice cream parlour.

7th April: Twelve riders were in attendance for the Sunday ride to watch the race near Brodsworth area, due to the small attendance for the group B we all rode together i.e Pete and Mick joined the main group. We decided to do a circular route around Doncaster riding out towards Blaxton and then via Armthorpe to Barnby Dun, at Hooton Pagnell Pete and Mick took a shorter route to Barnburgh while the rest put a loop in to Clayton / Thurnscoe. The intended cafe stop at Barnburgh was closed so we decided to watch the race for a while then call at a cafe in Spotborough. We selected a cafe and ordered our breakfast, this place was very expensive and will not be added to our regular stop in the future (£8:50 for beans on toast and coffee). We then rode up the hill at Sprotborough falls to Warmsworth and then taking the route to Edlington to five lane ends junction. We then headed for Stainton and then back home. Please note "Tour of Retford" is the club ride on 21st April..


31st March:  With the clocks forward one hour we had a small turn out of only 9 riders, Pete decided to join the A group ride to Elsecar. This was a shortage ride since most riders wanted to be back for visiting their mothers. Although a short ride of approx 60 miles it was hilly (3300ft of climbing) and again it was windy. We rode out via Tickhill / Wadworth to Ravenfield and then via Hooton Roberts to Wentworth and then turning to Elsecar heritage centre. The timing was perfect since the cafe doors were just opening, we sat outside and enjoyed the recently cooked pork pies and a mug of coffee. We took the usual route out of Elsecar up the hill on Coaley lane. What a surprise when we started ascending the lane - they had re-surfaced the road (I think they made it steeper). Andy decided to alter the usual route back by adding a loop through Hoober and then a further loop through Denaby Main, we heard someone moaning about the hills from the rear, it was the single rider from B group.. We then rode back home via Bramley, Brookhouse and Laughton, we had a short discussion at Oldcoates naming Alan as rider of the week.


24th March: Andy communicated to the club that we were riding out to Alkborough with a few lane diversions / additions from Lewis. Pete decided that the B team would ride with us until West Butterwick and then turn off towards Sandtoft for the Happy Eater cafe. So we set off with 18 riders in the peleton towards Ranskill then via the normal route to Gringley (Martyn joined the ride at this point), we rode out through Misterton and then took a right at "Gate Inn" pub and then took various lanes until arriving at West Butterwick. Pete then took the B team towards Sandtoft cafe (six riders), the remainder carried on to Keadby bridge. We then took the left towards Flixborough and then via the nice quite roads to Alkborough, at the cafe we sat outside and enjoyed the excellent weather. After the breakfast we went to the viewing area and had a few photo's taken. We then returned to Epworth and had a short break while Andy Baker repaired a puncture, also Mick and Lewis went home from here. We then battled against the wind back home via Idle bank / Misson. We stopped at Bawtry and confirmed that the riders of the week would be Andy Baker and Dave Evans due to the extra miles they completed.


17th March: As per the "whatsapp" sent out by Steve we had planned a ride to Haversage taking in many hills. We discussed at the pavillion the risk of high winds and heavy rain to the ride and concluded that we would assess along the route. The B group decided to ride to Edwinstow, only 5 riders in attendance for this Sunday. We set off against the strong winds towards Styruup, Oldcoates and then via Laughton to South Anston. At South Anston we met up with the Bakers (Gary and Andy), we then rode via Harthill to Spinkhill then taking a left towards Eckington. We then were approaching the steady climb at Marsh Lane but due to the high winds this seemed twice as steep. We then turned towards Coal Aston, Holmesfield and then the winds got stronger since more open, as we approached Owler Bar we pulled into the layby to discuss our options. We decided to forget the route to Haversage and take the left towards Hollingwood via Fox  lane and Cutthorpe. After several miles of improved riding with the wind mostly behind us we arrived at the cafe by the canal at Hollingwood, we had already completed 50 miles of hard riding. After an excellent cafe stop we set off via Barrow Hill, it was'nt riding long before we stopped due to Gary's chain broke, Andy assisted with his bike spares and we were back on the rode again. We then arrived at Eckington and rode a similar route back home. All rode well in the severe conditions, Andy awarded the cyclist of the week to Lewis & Mick who both rode over from Epworth and eventually achieved 100 miles for the day.


10th March: It was back to colder weather, only 1 degree for the 8 riders who met for the Sunday ride. We had pre-arranged to ride out to Bolsover meeting Dave at the King William at Oldcoates on route. Again only one ride since Pete and Mick came with the A team riders, we rode out through Firbeck, Dinnington and via South Anston to Spinkhill. We then rode to Bolsover via Stavely, as we approached Bolsover some riders decided to ride up the main rode rather than the steeper gradient of Castle Hill. Andy started the hill on the main rode but soon turned round and rode up Castle Hill since he knew Pete would give him stick at the cafe. We all enjoyed the cafe stop and then rode via Cuckney, Clumber Park back to Worksop. All rode well especially Steve Parker who was awarded rider of the week.


3rd March: We met at the usual meeting point and discussed the route for the day, eleven riders were in attendance and again we rode as one group. Andy had discussed a route to Lincoln previously with Pete so we decided to stick to this decision although the weather forecast was heavy winds and rain for 11am. We all rode together via Mattersey to Clayworth and up Strawberry hill, we then rode out towards Rampton and over the bridge at Dunham. As we crossed the bridge a slight rain fall started, Martyn talked us into turning towards Torksey and then calling at Gainsborough for the cafe stop. At Torksey we took a right to Sturton on Stow, at this stage Mel continued to Gainsborough since he had some pre-arranged agenda. The rest carried on towards Upton and then turned towards Gainsborough. A decision (Martyn's) was to stop at the Weatherspoons for the cafe stop, this was not the best cafe stop since the service was very slow and coffee machine broke - this cafe stop will not be used again. We then dropped Martyn off in Gainsborough and rode on the track back to Beckingham, as we rode towards Walkeringham some riders wanted to ride further and some were ready for home so we split at this point. The remaining four riders continued via East Stockwith to Graizelound, we then took the normal route via Misson back to Bawtry. We stopped at Bawtry and had a joint decision that the riders of the week were the four who continued on the ride - Andy Rodgers, Steve Parker, Dave Evans and John Owens. Well done all. Please note club meeting will be arranged for Tuesday 19th March.


24th February: As usual an excellent turn out for the Tom Simpson memorial ride by HDCC and all the surrounding clubs. Lights were required since the fog was very dense as we set off. We tried to stay together and ride as a club - this was difficult due to the huge amount of riders so we rode in several groups on the course with HDCC in front on most groups and helping other club riders. It was nice to see some club riders who do not attend on the regular Sunday rides i.e Matt Rodgers, John Murphy, Sean Ormerod etc. We all grouped together for the finish photo below with Barry Hoban. Well done to all especially those who added extra loops to the ride to achieve 100miles.




17th February:  All the forecasts stated it was going to be a fairly warm day so we had a good turn out of 14 riders at the pavillion. With no Pete (man flu) to captain the second riders we decided to all ride together to Edwinstow. We all rode at a steady pace on the usual route via Styruup and Firbeck, the wind got slightly stronger and colder as the ride progressed. Some of us decided it was warm enough to sit outside at the cafe, were we discussed the "Isle of Man" trip and many stated their interest (8 names so far).  We left the cafe and headed for clumber park and then continued the route through Worksop and back home. Excellent ride although slightly windy. Please note next weeks ride is the Tom Simpson ride.


10th February:  At last we had good weather for the Sunday ride. With no other riders for the B Group , Pete asked Andy if he could ride with the A team. So with permission granted we had one group of nine riders for the ride to New Millerdam, Martyn stated he could not ride for long and turned back at Balby. The other eight riders rode via Spotborough to Barnburgh, at the top of the hill - Mark joined us. We then rode via Hooton Pagnall to Clayton, Lee had a few mechanical issues with his back wheel which slowed him down, after the repair we were soon at Brierley and then ascending more hills to the cafe stop. Alan had to return for his birthday bash so he did not stop at cafe, the other seven enjoyed an excellent break. We had a short discussion about our 2019 trip to "Isle of Man" which is  now confirmed to be 14th June (Friday - Monday). We rode back by a similar route except at Clayton we took a left to Thurnscoe, we then turned towards Conisborough and up the hill eventually heading for Braithwell. At Edlington we took a right to Stainton and then took the route back to Styruup and home. A long hilly ride enjoyed by all.. Rider of the week was given to Phil Harrison.


3rd February: Again the weather was not ideal for cycling, with temperatures as low as -5 degrees at the start of the Sunday ride. With only 4 riders in attendance, it was stated at the pavillion that the temperature was far too low for a club ride. We agreed to stick to the main roads, riding via Ranskill to Retford then at the main roundabout we took a right past Randby prison and then continued on to Worksop. We then rode via Carlton to Oldcoates, stopping at the cafe near King William for a short break. We discussed over a coffee the preferred route back home and decided on riding out towards Maltby (dropping off Dave) then taking a right towards Tickhill. We then rode back to the pavillion. Overall a excellent ride although very cold.

27th January: The weather forecast was not good for cycling since strong winds were scheduled at 11am. Therefore a low turn out of only 6 riders were at the pavillion, already at 8:30am we had 25mph winds and 45mph were due later. We decided to have one ride since Pete was the only rider from the elite squad (formally known as group B). We decided to set off via Tickhill and ride towards Conisborough and assess the route further during the ride incase the winds got stronger. At the roundabout in Conisborough we took a left towards Old Denaby then progressed to Ravenfield, we then rode via Bramley to Slade Hooton. Martyn had to be back home so he left the ride and rode back to Gainsborough, the rest of the 5 riders did a loop round Hooton Levitt to take in some hill climbing training since the wind was not punishing us enough. We then rode down Bib Lane and then up the hill to Laughton church and stopping at the fishing lake cafe. This was an excellent cafe and worth a visit again, we decided at the cafe that the wind was not dangerous and decided to add a loop on rather than ride back home. The loop took us via Dinnington, South Anston, Thorpe Salvin , Shireoaks, Letwell and back to Oldcoates via Firbeck. We had a chat outside the King William before going on our seperate routes home, we all enjoyed the ride although difficult at times against the wind. 

20th January: The temperature was only slightly above freezing (0 degrees) so the turnout of 16 riders was excellent, 10 for the A ride and 6 for the B ride. Pete led the B riders out first for their ride to Southwell. The A riders decided on Askern and therefore set off towards Tickhill, we only reached Asda in Harworth when Lee stated he had a mechanical issue with his gears. It was a breakdown that could not be fixed so Lee put his bike back in the car and said he would meet up with us again near Askern. So with only 9 riders now we rode through Tickhill and took a slightly different route through Conisborough, we then rode via High Melton to Hooton Pagnell. This route took us on some hill climbs for the first 30 miles of the ride, then we dropped on to the normal route to Askern and met up with Lee at Campsall. We had an excellent cafe stop near the lake, in the cafe we decided to take a route home via Sykehouse and Moorends. After riding through Thorne we took a left and added a loop towards Sandtoft and then via Idle Bank and Misson back home. Rider of the week was difficult to choose since all rode well, eventually John selected Dave Evans. We completed 74 miles at an average speed of over 17mph.

13th January:  With the weather very windy the attendance was low with only 7 riders across both groups, we quickly decided to go out as one group and headed out against the wind to Bolsover. It was a slow pace against the wind plus some riders had mechanical issues with their bikes we delayed us reaching the cafe. As usual the cafe was perfect and we all enjoyed the shelter from the wind. We were blown most of the way home and Martyn and Andy did an excellent job leading at the front. Rider of the week was given to Martyn.

5th January: For the first ride of 2019 eighteen riders were at the starting point - 5 riders for Pete's ride to Rother Valley and 13 riders for the ride to Whisby. Andy added a few detours for the way out taking a right at Eaton and riding up the hill to Askham, we then took the normal route for the remainder of the ride to the nature reserve. The cafe stop was very good service and excellent value. Bob suggested that we go via Doddington and then take the track route back, we all agreed to this route change. Unfortunately Allistair and Martyn both got punctures on route and therefore this delayed the ride a couple of times. We still averaged 17mph for the 70 miles ride and the weather was quite pleasant for January. Rider of the week was given to Andy Pedley who rode well throughout the whole 70 miles.